Fee Change FAQs

Entrance Fee Changes -
Frequently Asked Questions

Type of Recreation Fee Current Jan 1, 2020 (postponed)
Vehicle / Vessel Entrance $30 (7-day pass) $35 (7-day pass)
Motorcycle $25 (7-day pass) $30 (7-day pass)
Pedestrian / Cyclist / Human Powered Paddle-craft $15 (7-day pass) $20 (7-day pass)
Everglades Annual Pass $55 (12-mo. pass) $70 (12-mo. pass)
Boat Launch Eliminated Eliminated
Wilderness Permit $21/permit + $2/person/per night Unchanged

recreation.gov logo

General Information

The fee changes at Everglades National Park are part of a broad National Park Service initiative to standardize fee rates across the country. As part of ongoing efforts to address aging park infrastructure and improve the visitor experience, entrance fee changes will be phased in over the next two years. In response to public comments on a national fee proposal released in October 2017, there will be a modest increase for all entrance fee-charging parks, rather than the higher peak-season fees initially proposed in 2018 for 17 highly-visited national parks.
Passes can be purchased at the Everglades National Park main entrance in Homestead, at the Shark Valley entrance, the Gulf Coast Visitor Center or online at recreation.gov. Additional pass options are available at www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
Yes. Entrance fees are not charged to persons 15 and under or to holders of the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Series. Information on the Interagency Pass Series can be found at www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm. If you are permanently disabled, in the US Military, volunteer for the NPS, or have a child in the 4th grade, you may be eligible for a free entrance pass.
The annual pass for Everglades National Park allows entrance to the pass holder and those traveling with them in a vehicle or vessel. The annual pass is valid for one year through the month of purchase (i.e., if you purchase a pass on December 15, 2018, it is valid through December 31, 2019).
All passes will be honored until their expiration dates. Passes are non-refundable and non-transferable and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. If lost or stolen, a new pass will need to be purchased.
Yes. Park visitors are required to have a valid entrance pass when in the park, regardless of when or where they enter. See above for purchase options. Passes can be purchased 24/7 online at recreation.gov.
Entrance fees are used to provide, sustain, and enhance a wide variety of visitor amenities and services at Everglades National Park. Revenue generated from recreation fees are used for items such as navigational aids and backcountry facilities. These facilities are important for the shared use and enjoyment of all park visitors.

Examples of projects funded in the last five years include:
• Replacement of the Anhinga Boardwalk at Royal Palm
• Replacement of the Bobcat Boardwalk at Shark Valley
• Installation of new shower houses in Long Pine Key Campground
• Installation of new entrance signs at Pine Island, Shark Valley, and Gulf Coast
• Repaving of the park’s main entrance road
• Rehabilitation of the Long Pine Key campground amphitheater

Examples of projects planned for the next five years:
• Replace Marine Route Markers in the Gulf Coast, Flamingo, and Florida Bay Districts
• Construction of a restaurant and overnight lodging in Flamingo
• Reconstruction of the Flamingo Visitor Center

Out of the over 400 units in the National Park Service (NPS), less than 125 parks charge an entrance fee. The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) requires the NPS to collect and retain revenue and requires that fee revenue be used to enhance the visitor experience. 80% of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the other 20% is used to support parks that do not collect recreation fees.

Private Boating (Florida Bay and Gulf Coast Waters)

Yes. Private boaters must pay entrance fees the same as all other visitors, regardless of time or location of entry. Passes are available at park entrance stations and online
at recreation.gov.
No. Boat launch fees were eliminated on January 10, 2019.
No. As long as you are only transiting through the park in the most direct route possible and do not stop, then you will not have to pay an entrance fee.
No. Should your vessel encounter foul weather, you are allowed to seek shelter in the park without being subject to the entrance fee.

Last updated: July 12, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, FL 33034-6733


305 242-7700

Contact Us