"What is a Slough?" Habitat Video: The Slough
- Grade Level:
- Pre-Kindergarten-First Grade
- Aquatic Studies, Biodiversity, Biology: Animals, Biology: Plants, Botany, Ecology
- 45 mins
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- indoors or outdoors
- National/State Standards:
- Next Generation Sunshine State Standards:
- habitats, slough, Everglades
OverviewThe students will show & tell about the animals that live in the freshwater slough habitat of Everglades National Park. The students will be able to explain the food chain in the freshwater slough habitat.
Discuss food chains, explain that we will be creating a food chain with chosen animals and plants from the Everglades ecosystem.
First packets are handed out, students guess what plants and animals live in the slough.Then watch the video of the slough habitat, identifying the correct plants and animals in the packets. Finally, cut & paste the pictures to make a food web.
Watch the "Slough" episode
VocabularySlough, drought, wet season, refuge,
producers, consumers, decomposers
Last updated: April 14, 2015