Last updated: December 13, 2018
- Grade Level:
- Lower Elementary: Pre-Kindergarten through Second Grade
- Lesson Duration:
- 30 Minutes
- Common Core Standards:
- 2.RI.7, 2.W.8
- Additional Standards:
- 2-ESS1; 2-ESS2; VA:Cr1.2.2a
- Thinking Skills:
- Remembering: Recalling or recognizing information ideas, and principles. Applying: Apply an abstract idea in a concrete situation to solve a problem or relate it to a prior experience. Creating: Bring together parts (elements, compounds) of knowledge to form a whole and build relationships for NEW situations.
How can we differentiate between landforms?
Students will use a simple dinosaur image to learn about common landforms. They will label and color a worksheet which will reinforce the differences between major landforms.
To know and differentiate between landforms is a foundational concept when learning geography and geology. This lesson uses drawing and creativity to reinforce the identification of major landforms. Students will label and color a simple dinosaur image, whose features correspond with basic landforms.
Use the link at the top to download the lesson plan PDF. Print copies of the provided "Landforms Dinosaur."
Includes the procedures, ideas for extension, blank worksheet and key.
If our planet was actually a huge dinosaur, what would the different landforms look like?
Download the lesson plan PDF at the top of this page and follow the instructions within.
- Landform - A natural feature of the Earth
- Geography - The study of the physical features of the Earth and how human actions can affect those features
- Butte - A hill with steep sides and flat top
Related Lessons or Education Materials
This lesson was adapted from the creative minds of fantastic second grade teachers! Learn more about how they used this activity in their classroom.