Last updated: August 4, 2018
Teacher Workshops & Other Programs
Teacher Workshop at Devils Tower
- Grade Level:
- Adult Education
- Literacy and Language Arts,Math,Science,Social Studies
The education staff at Devils Tower National Monument will be offering a workshop on Friday, September 28, 2018. Register with our online form.
A teacher workshop at Devils Tower National Monument is a great opportunity for local teachers. These workshops will take teachers through the same program experience they and their students receive when they come to the park for a field trip. Teachers participate in ranger-led activities, as well as learn about the logisitics of the field trip experience. We cover how to register for programs and how to best prepare your students for their trip.
The workshop also demos several of the Ranger in the Classroom (RIC) programs which the park offers. These programs bring the park to your school, with curriculum-based presentations and activities delivered by a park ranger right in your classroom!
Teachers also have the opportunity to earn professional development/continuing education credits when they attend a workshop at Devils Tower. On top of all this, you get to spend the day at your local national park!
Tentative Itineary for In-Park Workshops:
- 8:00-8:30 - Arrival and check-in
- 8:30-9:00 - Ice-breaker activity
- 9:00-10:00 - Introduction to Environmental Education
- Covers general National Park Service and specific Devils Tower information
- 10:00-10:30 - Quick snack and prepare for Tower Trail hike
- 10:30-12:30 - Guided hike of Tower Trail
- 12:30-1:00 - Short break and travel back to picnic area for working lunch
- 1:00-2:00 - Working lunch at picnic area
- Breakout groups to brainstorm ways to incorporate environmental education programs into school lessons
- 2:00-2:45 - Share and review ideas from breakout session
- 2:45-3:30 - Ranger in the Classroom programs
- Covers programs and activities that bring the park to your classroom
- 3:30-4:00 - Wrap-up, closing remarks, questions and workshop evaluation
Preparing for the WorkshopThese workshops take place outside and last all day. Dress appropriately. Wear layers and comfortable walking shoes. Indoor space is limited; in the event of inclement weather and based on group size, portions of the workshop may be moved inside or cancelled.
There is no food available at the park; water is available in comfort stations and at fountains (depending on seasonality). Bring your own lunch, water, and snacks. If you have any questions, please contact the education team.