The Aviation Trail, Inc. Guide

Asahel Wright Community Center
26 North Main Street
Centerville, Ohio 45459
937-291-2223
Hours: Noon to 4:00pm Tuesday through Friday
Tours by appointment
Free

Asahel Wright, great uncle of Wilbur and Orville Wright, was a farmer, distiller of peppermint and local postmaster. He purchased this house in 1816. The historic stone building, one of the oldest in Centerville, houses exhibits about the Wright family and is operated by the Centerville-Washington Township Historical Society.

Brookville Community Museum
Samuel Spitler House
14 Market Street
Brookville, Ohio, 45309
937-833-3470
Hours: 1:00 to 5:00pm on the first Sunday of each month
Closed: Legal holidays and Easter.
Donations.

Located in the Samuel Spitler House, the Brookville Community Museum is the local history museum for the village of Bellbrook. Included in the displays is an exhibit to Warren Rasor, an early balloonist.

Dayton History at Carillon Historical Park
1000 Carillon Blvd.
Dayton Ohio 45409
937-293-2841
Hours: 9:30am - 5:00pm Monday through Saturday
Admission charged

Among the exhibits in this 65-acre park, is the John W. Berry, Sr. Wright Brothers Aviation Center which is part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park. The Wright Flyer III, flown at Huffman Prairie in 1905, is on exhibit. The Center also displays many Wright brothers personal artifacts.

Centre City Building
40 South Main Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The Centre City Building, originally named the United Brethren (U.B.) Building, once housed the office of The Wright Company’s exhibition team in Room 1310, from March 1910 to November 1911. The building dates from 1834 when the United Brethren Printing Establishment erected the four-story structure, later enlarged by several additions.

Dayton International Airport
Vandalia, Ohio 43577
937-454-8200; toll free 1-877-FLY-DAY-1

The Dayton International Airport is an important cargo hub and the home to The United States Air and Trade shows. Established in 1928, the airport features a 1/8 scale model of the Wright Flyer hanging in the lobby.

Former Dayton Journal Offices
15 East Second Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The first newspaper in the sky was printed in 1909 by The Dayton Journal, for the paper’s 101st anniversary. It was printed on a press carried by a balloon. In 1903 the Dayton Journal missed the opportunity to publish the story of the world’s first flight by failing to realize the importance of the event. The building was demolished in 1988.

First Baptist Church of Dayton
111 West Monument Avenue
Dayton, Ohio 45402
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

Orville Wright’s funeral was held at this church on February 2, 1948. He died at Miami Valley Hospital at the age of 76, on January 30, three days after suffering a heart attack at his West Side laboratory. Dr. Charles Lyon Seasholes, pastor of First Baptist Church, conducted the service.

First Emergency Freefall Parachute Jump Landing Site
335 Troy Street
Dayton, Ohio 45405
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The first emergency freefall parachute jump, made by McCook Field test pilot Lieutenant Harold R. Harris on October 20, 1922, ended in a grape arbor at the still-standing house at 335 Troy Street. Harris’ airplane crashed in the yard of a nearby house that once stood at 403 Valley Street.

First Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop Site
1005 West Third Street
Dayton, Ohio 45407
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The Wright brothers’ first bicycle shop was located at 1005 West Third Street in a building that was incorporated into the Gem City Ice Cream building. This structure, which the brothers used in 1892, is currently being refurbished.

First Wright Brothers Print Shop Site
1210 West Third Street
Dayton, Ohio 45407

The Wright brothers’ first print shop outside their home was located in a rented room at 1210 West Third Street in a building that was demolished in the 1950s. They occupied the building from the spring of 1889 until fall 1890. The site is now a parking lot.

Former Aeroproducts Factory
480 North Dixie Drive
Vandalia, Ohio 45377
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The Aeroproducts Factory was established in 1940 to manufacture Aeroprop airplane propellers, which were used extensively on World War II military aircraft. Aeroprop propellers also were employed in peacetime and during the Korean War, 1950-1953.

Former Dayton Wright Airplane Company Main Plant
4100 Springboro Road
Moraine, Ohio 45439
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The main plant of the Dayton Wright Airplane Company was once located on part of the site now occupied by the General Motors Powertrain Plant. Colonel Edward A. Deeds and Charles F. Kettering formed Dayton Wright in 1917 to manufacture airplanes for World War I.

Former First The Wright Company Factory Site
1420 Wisconsin Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

In 1909, Wilbur and Orville Wright organized The Wright Company to manufacture their airplanes. In this plant they produced Models B and R, from February to November 1910, when the Wright Company’s new factory was completed. The building has been demolished.

Former International Flare and Signal Company Office
North Third Street and Park Avenue
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The International Flare and Signal Company formed in 1921, developed the first electronically-controlled airplane flare, named the Driggs-Faber System. The factory also manufactured several other products used in World War II, including cartridges for starting the engines of airplanes on US aircraft carriers.

Former Lear Avia Factory
437 North Dixie Drive
Vandalia, Ohio 45377
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

Lear Avia, Inc. was a radio and airplane instrument manufacturing company. The factory also produced aircraft navigation instruments that led to the first commercial radio compass for airplanes.

Former McGuire Products Company
206 Troy Street
Dayton, Ohio 45404
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

In the 1930s the building at 206 Troy Street was the workshop of Roy McGuire, an inventor of early aviation instruments, including the Little Robot automatic pilot. This device, which weighed less than five pounds and cost approximately $300, kept an airplane on course and automatically corrected for a spin.

Former Second The Wright Company Factory Site
2701 Home Avenue
Dayton, Ohio 45417
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The Wright Company once occupied the buildings now known as Buildings 1 and 2 of the Home Avenue Delphi Chassis Division. Constructed by The Wright Company to manufacture Wright airplanes in 1909, the buildings were later used by the Dayton Wright Airplane Company after Orville sold his company in 1915.

Former WACO Aircraft Company Factory
Waco Street
Troy, Ohio 45373
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The WACO Aircraft Company Factory was the leading United States airplane manufacturer between World War I and II. It was organized in 1923 by Clayton J. Brukner and Elwood “Sam” Junkin. Models built in the factory were designed for commercial, private, governmental and military uses and for the export market.

Hartzell Propeller Inc.
One Propeller Place
Piqua, Ohio 45356
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

Hartzell Propeller, Inc., the world leader in the manufacturing of propeller systems, was established in 1917 when markets for its former products declined during World War I. It made propellers for the “Voyager,” first airplane to fly non-stop around the world without refueling, and continues producing them in Piqua, OH.

Hawthorn Hill
901 Harman Avenue
Oakwood, Ohio 45419
Tours are available through Dayton History at Carillon Park.
937-293-2841

Hawthorn Hill was the home of Orville Wright from 1915 until his death in 1948.

Hills and Dales Park
Patterson Boulevard
Kettering, Ohio 45409
Hours: 8:00am to 10:00pm daily

Established in 1911 as a recreation area for NCR employees, the park was the landing location of the first emergency free fall parachute jump, July 18, 1924.

Hoover Block
1060 West Third Street
Dayton Ohio 45407
937-225-7705
Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm daily; until 6:00pm during summer months
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day
Free

From 1900 to 1905 the Wrights operated a printing business on the second floor. Along with job printing, they printed the Dayton Tattler for Paul Laurence Dunbar. In 1909 The International Aeroplane Club of Dayton began holding monthly meetings in the third floor meeting hall The Hoover Block is now the Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center, part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.

Huffman Prairie Flying Field
Gate 16A on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 45433
937-425-0008
Hours: Thursday through Tuesday 8:00am to 6:00pm
Subject to closure due to base operations.
Free

Huffman Prairie Flying Field is the world’s first flying field. Here the Wrights conducted flying experiments starting in 1904. The flying field also became the location of their first flying school. Huffman Prairie is located on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and is part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.

Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center
2380 Memorial Road
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base,
Dayton, Ohio 45433
937-425-0008
Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm daily; until 6:00pm during summer months
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day
Free

The Interpretive Center contains exhibits which focus on the development of the world’s first practical airplane at Huffman Prairie in 1904 and 1905, and the brothers return in 1910 to 1915. Also on display are the accomplishments of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Fifth Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop Site
1127 West Third Street
Dayton Ohio 45402

The Wright brothers moved their bicycle business to this site in 1897. It was here that they began researching human flight and built their gliders and the first airplane. The building was moved to Greenfield Village, and the lot is now empty.

McCauley Accessory Division, Cessna Aircraft Company
3535 McCauley Drive
Vandalia, Ohio 45377
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

McCauley Accessory Division was a major producer of propellers for light aircraft. It was founded in 1935 and manufactured a large quantity of propellers for American military aircraft in World War II.

McCook Field Site
North Bend Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio 45404
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

McCook Field, located along the Great Miami River near downtown Dayton from 1917 to 1927, was the first United States military aviation research center. Established during World War I to support the United States war effort, it heralded the 1920-1925 period called the “golden era of exploration and records” in aviation.

Moraine Farm
1233 West Stroop Road
Kettering, Ohio 45429
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

Moraine farm was the home of Colonel and Mrs. Edward A. Deeds. The South Field, adjacent to the house, once served as the Experimental Station of the Dayton Wright Airplane Company, formed by Deeds and Charles F. Kettering in 1917. The estate is now owned and maintained by NCR Corporation.

National Museum of the United States Air Force
Entrance off Springfield Street
1100 Spaatz Street
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 45433
937-255-3286
Hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm daily
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day
Free
Charge for the IMAX Theater

The museum is the national museum for the United States Air Force. It is the world’s largest and oldest military aviation museum. Aircraft, missiles and historic artifacts make up the exhibits. A Memorial Park along side the parking lot honors individuals and organizations associated with the Air Force.

Orville Wright’s Laboratory Site
15 North Broadway Street
Dayton, Ohio 45407

The building which once stood on this lot was constructed for Orville’s personal use. Called the Wright Aeronautical Laboratory, Orville conducted scientific research and consulted on various projects until his death in 1948.

Paul Laurence Dunbar House
219 North Paul Laurence Dunbar Street
Dayton, Ohio 45401
937-224-7061
Hours:
Admission charged

Paul Laurence Dunbar, one of the first internationally known writer and poet, purchased this house for his mother in 1904. A classmate of Orville Wright, Dunbar also published a newspaper for the West side which was printed by Wright and Wright printers. Purchased by the state in 1938 this museum reflects Dunbar’s many talents.

Pinnacle Hill
Pinnacle Road West of Vance Road
Moraine, Ohio 45439

The theory of wing warping was developed at Pinnacle Hill. The Wrights spent many hours observing the flight of birds here which aided in the development of lateral control. Destroyed by the Pinnacle Road construction the location is now an abandoned farm.

Reibold Building
117 South Main Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

The Reibold Building was the site of an early record-breaking balloon flight. In 1909, Luzern Custer ascended from its rooftop and landed an hour later in Middletown, Ohio, about 20 miles away – the longest distance covered by a balloon in one hour. The building is now owned by Montgomery County.

Second Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop Site
1034 West Third Street
Dayton, Ohio 45407

Wilbur and Orville's second bicycle shop, located in a rented store at 1034 West Third Street, was in a building that has been demolished. The Wrights’ bicycle business was conducted there from 1893-1895. The site has been developed into green space by the City of Dayton.

The Engineers Club of Dayton Ohio
110 East Monument Street
Dayton Ohio 45420
937-228-2148
Not open to the public, however group tours can be arranged

Founded in 1914, the Engineers Club was intended to bring inventors together in a social atmosphere. Orville Wright was a founding member. The Wright engine number three, which is the last of the horizontal-type engines, is on display here.

Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum
118 Woodland Avenue
Dayton, Ohio 45409
937-228-3221
Hours: 8:00am to 6:00pm daily
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm; Saturday 8:00am to noon
Group tours by appointment
Free

This historic cemetery is the final resting place for Orville and Wilbur Wright, along with their parents and sister. It is also where Paul Laurence Dunbar and his mother Matilda lay. Maps and audio tapes for self guided tours are available upon request.

Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop Site
23 West Second Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
This privately owned site is not open to the public.

A Wright bicycle shop located at 23 West Second Street in 1895-1896, was the Wrights’ only attempt to operate a shop in downtown Dayton rather than West Dayton. They may have operated it as a retail store and repair service. Little is known about this shop, and the building was later demolished.

Wright Brothers Memorial
Wright Brothers Hill
Kauffman Road and Route 444
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 45433
Hours: 8:00am to 8:00pm daily

The Wright Brothers Memorial stands as a monument to the Wright brothers and their achievement of powered flight. Dedicated on August 19, 1940, the memorial overlooks Huffman Prairie Flying Field, where the Wrights conducted many of their experiments. The Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center is also located at the site.

The Wright Cycle Company
22 South Williams Street
Dayton Ohio 45402
937-225-7705
Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm daily
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day
Free

The Wrights operated their bicycle and printing business here from 1895 to 1897. In this shop the Wrights began producing their own brand of bicycles. As part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, The Wright Cycle Company continues to preserve the heritage of the Wright Brothers.

Wright Family Home Site
7 Hawthorne Street
Dayton, Ohio 45407
Open during daylight hours
Free

The house which stood on the now empty lot was home to the Wrights from 1871 to 1878 and 1885 to 1914. Orville was born in the house and Wilbur passed away here in 1912. The brothers lived at Hawthorne Street when they invented the airplane. The house was moved to Greenfield Village in 1936, and the site is now a commemorative park.

Wright Memorial Library
1776 Far Hills Avenue
Dayton, OH 45419
Hours: Monday through Thursday 10:00am to 8:00pm; Friday 10:00am to 6:00pm; Saturday and Sunday 1:00 to 5:00pm
937-294-7171
Free

The Wright Memorial Library, named for Wilbur, Orville and Katharine Wright, serves as the public library for the city of Oakwood. The library houses over 90 books once owned by the Wright family. Orville Wright was a member of the board from 1934 to 1946, and vice-president for 11 years.

Wright Seaplane Base
Great Miami River at Sellers Road Bridge
Moraine, Ohio 45439

Orville tested seaplanes at this location for The Wright Company from 1911 to 1913. Models for testing included the modified Model B, the Model CH hydroplane and the Model G aerobat.

Special Collections and Archives
Wright State University Libraries
Paul Laurence Dunbar Library
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway
Dayton, Ohio 45435
937-775-2092
Free

Named for the Wright brothers, Wright State University Special Collections and Archives contains a collection of over 6,000 items and over 4,000 photographs pertaining to the invention of the airplane and the life of the Wright brothers. The collection is open for public research during regular hours of operation. Advanced notification is appreciated.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
Springfield Pike/State Route 444
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio 45433
This federally owned site is not open to the public.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, one of the most diverse and organizationally complex Air Force bases, is the modern installation that grew from the field where the Wrights learned to fly. Its missions include acquisition management, logistics, and science and technology.

Last updated: April 10, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

16 South Williams Street
Dayton, OH 45402

Phone:

(937) 225-7705

Contact Us