Last updated: April 14, 2015
Battle of Cowpens Illustrated
- Grade Level:
- Eighth Grade
- Language Arts, Revolutionary War
- 1 week
- Group Size:
- Up to 24
- National/State Standards:
- South Carolina English/Language Arts: 8-2.4 Create responses to informational text through a variety of methods.
OverviewStudents will be able to create a pictorial rendition of the battle.
Students will be able to create a pictorial rendition of the battle.
1. Copies of graphic novels & picture books
2. Blank paper – colored pencils
3. Flow map
4. Cowpens: A Battle Remembered video
Pre-Video Procedure (activities/discussion/lesson)
Cowpens: A Battle Remembered previously viewed
Post-Video Procedure (activities/discussion/lesson)
1. Create sequencing/flow map on events of battle.
2. Explain the use of graphic novels/ picture books. Look though many examples.
3. In groups – Choose to create graphic novel or picture book (to donate to elementary school) rubric for book and for individual student assignment (narrator, artist, fact finder, etc.)