The Summer Resort: 1911-1929

Concrete monument in a street intersection
Monument at Twelfth Street in Sulphur, advertising "the playground of the southwest."

Oklahoma Historical Society

The 1910s and 20s were a first golden age for Platt National Park, as the park slowly evolved as a facility and visitors continued to come for the cool and 'health-giving' waters. The community of Sulphur also grew, and the park and town were in many respects inseparable during this time as Platt National Park became known as "the playground of the southwest."

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

901 W. 1st Street
Sulphur, OK 73086


(580) 622-7234
Travertine Nature Center

Contact Us