The Monuments and Markers of Cedar Creek and Belle Grove

Photo of Rededication of 8th Vermont Monument
Rededication of the 8th Vermont Monument, June 25, 2016

Buddy Secor/NPS

There are several different types of monuments, markers and plaques located in the park, which collectively help tell the many stories associated with the rich history of this area from its earliest settlement, to the Civil War and beyond.

 

The 8th Vermont Monument


This monument commemorates the sacrificial stand made by the 8th Vermont Volunteers on October 19, 1864. This monument was a gift from Herbert E. Hill, a veteran of the regiment. Dedicated September 19, 1885 it marks the location where the regiment lost 110 of its 164 men, including three flagbearers who were killed defending their flags.
 
Photo of the Dedication of Ramseur Monument
1920 Dedication of Ramseur Monument

University of NC Library at Chapel Hill

The Ramseur Monument


The Major General Stephen D. Ramseur Monument is located at the entrance to Belle Grove Plantation. On October 19, 1864, General Ramseur was mortally wounded at Cedar Creek and taken prisoner. He was brought to Belle Grove where, as he lay on his deathbed, he was visited by his friends and former West Point classmates, including Union generals George A. Custer and Wesley Merritt. He died the next day (October 20, 1864), leaving his wife, Ellen, a widow, and Mary (his newly born daughter whom he had never met), fatherless.
This monument was erected by the North Carolina Division of the Daughters of the Confederacy and dedicated in 1920.

(Please use extreme caution when visiting this monument. US Route 11 is busy, and there is no adequate pull-off next to the monument.)


 
Modern Photo of 128th New York Monument
The 128th New York Monument after 2017 cleaning

NPS

The 128th New York Monument

The carved knapsack, crossed rifles, canteen and sword is the symbol of the Union 19th Army Corps. This monument was erected by veterans of the regiment in memory of their comrades who lost their lives at the Battle of Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864. Dedicated in 1907.
 
Charles Russell Lowell Jr Marker at the Wayside Inn
Charles Russell Lowell, Jr. Marker at the Wayside Inn

NPS

The Lowell Monument


Located in front of the historic Wayside Inn in Middletown, this monument honors Union Colonel Charles Russell Lowell, who was mortally wounded during the battle and died the next day (October 20, 1864). Lowell was highly thought of by his commanders and beloved by his men. This monument is one of the newer memorials at Cedar Creek, having been dedicated in 1992.
 
Photo of Battle of Cedar Creek Marker
Virginia Civil War Plaque at Cedar Creek

Haleigh Marhsall/NPS

Battlefield Markers Association Plaque


“The Battle of Cedar Creek” marker is one in a series of 59 commemorative Virginia Civil War battlefield plaques created by the Battlefield Markers Association throughout the 1920s. Historian Douglas Southall Freeman wrote most of the text for the markers. They were the first highway markers in the State of Virginia.
 
Battle of Cedar Creek State Historical Marker
Virginia State Historical Marker - Cedar Creek

Haleigh Marshall/NPS

Virginia State Historical Markers


There are several state markers like this one in the park. They give a brief history of the event that occurred near each marker.
 
Image of Hite Marker at Belle Grove
Jost Hite Marker at Belle Grove

Haleigh Marshall/NPS

Hite Family Marker


Jost Hite was one of the first pioneers to settle the Shenandoah Valley. His grandson, Isaac Hite, Jr., later built Belle Grove. This monument was dedicated by his descendants during the Hite family reunion in 1985 and is located at the front entrance to Belle Grove.

Last updated: November 11, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 700
Middletown, VA 22645

Phone:

540-869-3051

Contact Us