Spider Cave is a three-dimensional maze cave—a caver’s paradise. Experienced and beginner cavers will enjoy this adventure! Participants will hike a half-mile down beautiful Garden Grove Canyon to get to the cave, where lots of crawling and climbing will ensue. Highlights of this tour include the Mace Room, Medusa Room, and Cactus Spring, as well as a stunning variety of cave formations and getting dirty in a cave crawl. This trip is not recommended for anyone with a fear of heights or enclosed spaces.
Reservations are required for the Spider Cave Tour. To make reservations call 877-444-6777 or visit Recreation.gov.
$20 for adults and $10 for children, Senior and Access Pass holders.
Check tour schedule chart for tour times throughout the year.
Tour departs from the visitor center theater. Participants will drive a short distance to the trailhead for the 1/3 mile hike to the cave entrance.
Minimum age is 12 years old. Anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Participants must be able to safely negotiate cave passages containing fragile formations without harm to the cave, themselves or others.
- You will receive a mandatory safety orientation before you venture into the cave.
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes with good aggressive tread are required. Hiking boots with ankle support are recommended. No sandals, flip flops, tennis shoes, or similar. You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear—no exceptions. Click for more details.
- It is strongly recommeneded you bring water and snacks for the trail, as well as a hat and sunscreen.
- The park provides helmets with lamps, knee and elbow pads, and gloves. Due to the possibility of carrying the lethal fungus that causes White-nose Syndrome in bats, we do no allow anyone to use their own personal caving gear.
- All visitors are required to decontaminate their footwear before and after the tour. Tour leaders will provide the needed supplies. This extraordinary measure is due to the potential presence of the fungus which causes White-nose Syndrome in New Mexico. Click for more information.
- In an effort to keep the fungus that causes deadly White-nose Syndrome in bats out of Spider Cave, all participants are required to wear freshly laundered (clean) clothing on the tour. Even if the clothing has only been worn on another tour at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, the clothes must be freshly laundered. There will be no exceptions. Participants must also decontaminate their footwear before the tour. Tour leaders will provide the needed supplies.
Maximum Group Size: 8
Note: Caving is inherently risky and cave rescues are difficult, dangerous, and take hours to accomplish.