Below are photographs of various types of animals including mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, insects and arachnids that can be found in Catoctin Mountain Park.
Can you tell which is which? Let's try.
- Amphibians have backbones.
- The internal temperature of their bodies varies, depending on the environment .
- Amphibians spend time in the water and on the land.
- Their larvae mature in water and breathe through gills.
- Adults breathe air through lungs and skin and their skin must remain moist to aid in breathing.
- The skin of amphibians is usually smooth and does not have hair, scales or feathers.
- They do not have claws on their toes.
- They have three-chambered hearts.