Cape Hatteras National Seashore has four campgrounds within the park. All of the campgrounds have tent, trailer, and motor home sites. Visiting the beach comes with potential hazards. Learn the simple steps you can take to improve your safety. Reservations for all campgrounds must be made using the links to www.recreation.gov listed below. Sites may be available the day of your visit, must you must pay for your site on www.recreation.gov.
Oregon Inlet Campground
|107||Available at 47 sites||Open year round
||Open year round
||$28 for no utilities/$35 for utility hookups|
46700 Lighthouse Road
April 2, 2021
|November 29, 2021||$20|
53415 Billy Mitchell Road
April 2, 2021
November 29, 2021
4352 Irvin Garrish Highway
Open year round
Remaining open through at least winter 2020/2021
Reservations and payments for camp sites at Oregon Inlet, Cape Point, Frisco, and Ocracoke campgrounds can only be made online at www.recreation.gov. Walk-ups are permitted; however, campers will need to make payment online (on a smart phone) or by calling a Recreation.gov representative at 877-444-6777. Cape Hatteras National Seashore Rangers are not able to take any form of payment at the campgrounds.
*Cape Point Campground sites are first come/first served (same-day reservation) only. Due to the ground saturation and potential for flooding, campers are encouraged to check the sites prior to paying.
Group CampingA group campsite is available at Oregon Inlet Campground and may be reserved through www.recreation.gov.
Holders of the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior or Access Pass, or the Golden Age or Access pass are eligible for a 50% discount on their campsite. If making a reservation, pass information must be provided at that time to receive the discount. No discounts are offered for the group camping at Oregon Inlet Campground, or on utilities at Oregon Inlet Campground.
Camping Rules and Information
- Camping is permitted only at designated campgrounds. Camping is not permitted on the beach.
- Oregon Inlet Camground has heated showers: Frisco, Cape Point and Ocracoke have unheated showers. All campgrounds have modern restrooms and potable water.
- All reservations are site-specific.
- Electricity and water are available at 47 camping sites at Oregon Inlet Campground. There are currently no utility connections at the other three campgrounds.
- Check-out time is noon.
- No more than two vehicles (pop-up camper is considered a vehicle) and six persons may occupy a single site.
- Parking space for extra vehicles is severely limited, so plan accordingly. If you must bring more than two vehicles, make arrangements to park your extra vehicle outside the park or purchase an additional campsite.
- From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, camping is limited to a total of 14 days within a 30-day period.
- The campgrounds are located on the ocean side separated from the beach by barrier dunes. Frisco Campground is located among sand dunes. All others are on level ground. Soil at all the campgrounds is sandy; therefore, longer than normal tent stakes are recommended.
- There are no shade trees.
- Mosquitoes may be a problem, so netting and insect repellent are recommended.
Last updated: April 2, 2021