Reduce park operations'
energy use emissions to
25 percent below
2007 levels by 2020.
Completed and Ongoing Actions
- Installed photovoltaic and solar hot water panels to reduce fossil fuel use at the new Herring Cove bathhouse facility.
- Installed solar photovoltaic panels on 2 Highlands Center buildings to generate electricity.
- Switching over to LED bulbs in park seasonal housing.
- Worked with Cape Light Compact to switch to Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) in public park buildings.
- Installed energy managers on boilers in all public buildings with oil-fired boilers for heating, and installed boiler reset controls that adjust to outside temperature at major facilities.
- Inventoried all appliances and replaced ones 10 years or older with ENERGY STAR or better.
- Continue the efforts of green team to track energy use in buildings and promote awareness to other staff about high energy consumers and ways to conserve.
- Increase the use of bio based fuels and LED bulbs for park buildings.
- Replace old windows with new more energy-efficient windows.
- Install photovoltaic panels on park buildings and in open areas such as headquarters and maintenance complex, and park beach facilities.