During World War II the Navy Yard specialized in the construction of three types of ships: destroyers (DD), destroyer escorts (DE), and tank landing ships (LST). The destroyer escort grew out of requirements ofr convoy escorts for transfer to Great Britain under Lend-Lease. Although originally intended for U.S. Navy service as the USS Herzog, DE-277 was reallocated to Britain on June 14, 1943. Renamed for Capt. Sir Thomas Gore, who commanded the frigate HMS Triton from 1796 to 1801, the HMS Gore first raised the White Ensign at the Navy yard on Oct. 14, 1943. She departed Boston Harbor shortly thereafter for initial "work-ups" in Casco Bay and then Bermuda before crossing the Atlantic to join the 1st Escort Group of the Western Approaches Support Group Command at Pollock Dock, Belfast. Returned to the U.S. Navy on May 2, 1946, the destroyer escort was sold for scrap in June 1947.
Development of ship building at the Charlestown Navy Yard-HMS Gore
Last updated: February 26, 2015