Planning Your Expedition
- Become familiar with emergency contact information. Prepare a list of emergency contacts to carry with you while on island. Contact information should include the bus driver on mainland. Cell phone reception is available on several islands.
- Plan for emergencies by:
- Designating a predetermined meeting place should a student become separated the from group.
- Bring a well stocked first aid kit.
- Inform the students about the importance of bringing drinking water, sunscreen, insect repellant, etc.
- Remind students footwear is required at all times while on the island, including when walking on the beach or in tidepools.
- Remind students that swimming or wading is not allowed due to currents.
- Prepare and review a list of what students should wear. List should be seasonally appropriate. If you are unsure of what type of clothing to bring, please call NPS staff for assistance.
- If appropriate, remind students to bring a lunch, and don’t forget to factor lunchtime into the overall expedition timeframe.
Day of the Expedition
- Make final check of the weather and confirm that the expedition has not been canceled for a weather related reason.
- Confirm vessel departure time and location with company representative on telephone.
- Schedule arrival time at departure location one half-hour prior to scheduled departure time. Inform the vessel operator and captain of your arrival time, and review any last minute changes to the itinerary.
- Confirm arrival time on mainland with bus driver and ensure pickup in a timely fashion.
Arriving at the Site Location
- Introduce yourself to the DCR or National Park Service ranger to ask any questions you may have. The ranger will also:
- Address safety issues such as the importance of staying on designated trails.
- Highlight the island environment and habitat.
- Discuss island etiquette and environmental stewardship, such as Leave No Trace.
- Describe how to use the Clivus compost toilets (applicable only on Spectacle and Georges Island)
- Confirm meeting and departure time and location with teachers and chaperones.
- Have a copy of your DCR Recreational Use Permit available at all times.