Built in the 1960s, this building was once a private airport with a hanger and restaurant. It was rather eye-catching from the road due to the passenger plane mounted to its roof as decoration. Later it was a service station. The building was eventually purchased by the National Park Service in the 1980s to be used as a visitor center.
Today, the building serves as the Oasis Visitor Center. Inside, there are exhibits related to the natural and cultural history of the preserve, educational materials, sales items, and an introductory film. Staff are available to assist visitors with information about available activities.
Art Exhibitions & Demonstrations
Open seven days a week from 9:00am-4:30pm.
Off-Road Vehicle Office (Please note: The off-road vehicle office at Oasis Visitor Center is not open at this time. Permits and inspections will occur on a first-come first-served basis at the Nathanial P. Reed Visitor Center (33000 Tamiami Trail East. Ochopee, FL 34141) on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 9:00am -1:30pm. For questions relating to off-road vehicle use, please call 239-695-1117.) The off-road vehicle office is where visitors are issued a permit to drive off-road vehicles in the national preserve. Vehicle inspections and payment are performed at this office.
Please click on the image below for a virtual tour!
Last updated: September 15, 2023