Contact: Bob DeGross, 239-695-1107
Yesterday’s Fire Activities:
- Fire remains staffed and was patrolled by ground and aerial resources.
- Preparation of contingency lines around private in-holdings and improvements were continued should the fire become active as conditions become drier.
- Firefighters continued to work on the north and west sides of the other fires on the Big Cypress National Preserve using hand crews, engines, and equipment to strengthen lines, mop-up, and rehabilitate fire lines.
- Accelerated demobilization of excess resources is in progress.
- This will be the last daily update from the Southwest Area Incident Management Team.
- No Private properties have been damaged due to fire.
The BICY Complex consists of one major fire. There was no fire movement. Very isolated burning stumps and logs were observed well within the interior of the fire. The Strickland and Midrest fires have burned together resulting in approximately 24 miles of fire line on the north side of I-75 from mile marker 52 to mile marker 76.
The mandatory evacuation order for private landowner access has been lifted. The closure for areas south of I-75 has been lifted. Areas north of I-75 remain closed to all recreational access and activities.
Date Started: May 4, 2007; Cause of Ignition: Lightning; Location: 23 miles N/E Everglades City; Size: 63,599 acres; Percent contained: 90%; Est. Containment: Unknown; Aircraft: 3; Handcrews: 5; Equipment: Engines 5 Dozers 0; Number of Personnel: 240; Injuries to date: 2
Today’s Planned Events:
- Continue mitigation and rehabilitation of fire lines, perimeter patrol, and mop-up.
- Continue preparation of contingency lines for protection of structures and improvements should the fire become active in the near future as conditions dry.
- Continue accelerated demobilization of excess resources.
- The Type I Incident Management Team will transfer command at 0800 to a much smaller Type 3 Incident Management Team with fewer firefighters which will continue rehabilitation and monitoring of fire activity until a significant rainfall event occurs.
Partly cloudy with scattered afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Chance of rain is 40%. Wind SW 10-15. Relative humidity 43-47%. Temperature 90 to 93.
Last updated: April 14, 2015