|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Christy Fleming, 307-548-5406
As of June 16, 2009,the lake level was 3638.75 and rising. The high inflows there are causing high concentrations of driftwood and although lake levels are higher, caution is still advised in side canyons as there may be submerged rocks, sandbars, and other hazards in these shallow areas.
The Horseshoe Bend Marina is open for the summer. The marina is stocked with life vests, fishing supplies, bait, Wyoming fishing licenses, water recreation items, snacks and picnic supplies. Ok-A-Beh Marina is also open. Food, gas, and boat rentals are available.
The docks are in at Horseshoe Bend, Barry’s Landing, and Ok-A-Beh. The concession docks are installed at Horseshoe Bend and Ok-A-Beh and the gas dock is in at Ok-A-Beh. Floating restrooms are located at Black Canyon, Day Board 9, Box Canyon, Devil Canyon, and Dryhead Creek.
All of the campgrounds are open. Horseshoe Bend has improved sites with electricity and water hook-up. These sites are $15 per night. The unimproved sites in Horseshoe Bend and the sites at Trail Creek and Afterbay campground are free. The dump and fill stations are located at Horseshoe Bend and near the Afterbay Campground. Fish cleaning stations at Horseshoe Bend and Ok-A-Beh are operational. All hiking trails are open and offer a variety of scenery. Campground programs and guided tours of historic ranches are scheduled through out the summer months. Schedules are posted on the website, www.nps.gov/bica, and in the campground bulletin boards.
As a reminder, Bighorn Canyon does allow Personal Water Craft (PWC) on Bighorn Lake with some exceptions. PWC are not allowed in the following areas:
· In Bighorn Lake and shoreline south of the area known as The South Narrows. Personal watercraft users are required to stay north of the boundary delineated by park installed buoys.
· Crooked Creek Bay
· In the gated area south of Yellowtail Dam’s west side to spillway entrance works and Bighorn River from Yellowtail Dam to cable 3,500 feet north.
· At Afterbay Dam from fenced areas on west side of dam up to the dam.
· In Afterbay Lake, the area between dam intake works and buoy/cable line 100 feet west.
· At Government docks as posted.
· At the Ok-A-Beh gas dock, except for customers.
· From Yellowtail Dam upstream to the log boom.
For current lake conditions or help planning a visit, visitors may call the Cal S. Taggart Bighorn Canyon Visitor Center at 307-548-5406.