Medgar and Myrlie Evers Home
The Medgar and Myrlie Evers Home in Jackson, Mississippi is a National Historic Landmark honoring the life and work of these two important civil rights figures. As the first National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) field secretary in Mississippi (1954-1963), Medgar Evers (1925-1963) worked to end racial violence and improve the quality of life for black Mississippians. Evers and his wife Myrlie established the NAACP office in Jackson, Mississippi in the mid-1950s. He tirelessly led marches, prayer vigils, voter registration drives and boycotts, and persistently appealed to blacks and whites to work together for a peaceful solution to social problems. The eyes of the nation turned to the city of Jackson in the early 1960s as Evers orchestrated a boycott of white merchants. Backed by federal troops, he also led efforts to help James Meredith integrate the University of Mississippi in 1962. When disgruntled racists hurled a firebomb into the Evers home in 1963, Myrlie Evers bravely put out the flames with a garden hose. Evers continued his work, but an assassin's bullet ended his life a few weeks later outside his home. Evers' brother Charles took up his work as the NAACP field secretary in Mississippi. In 1994 - 31 years and three trials later - Evers' killer, Byron De La Beckwith, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. After her husband’s death, Myrlie Evers (now Evers-Williams) emerged as a civil rights figure in her own through her work with the NAACP and later established the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Institute in Jackson, Mississippi. The Evers Home was added to the African American Civil Rights Network in August 2018.
Last updated: February 25, 2019