The historic Ashland Harbor Breakwater Light may be added to the park if Congress passes pending legislation sponsored by Rep. Sean Duffy and Sen. Tammy Baldwin. If enacted into law, the ownership of the 1915 lighthouse would transfer from the Coast Guard to the NPS. Responsibility for maintenance of the breakwater and wharf the lighthouse sits on would remain with the Army Corps of Engineers. Unlike the other units of the park, no Lake Superior waters would be included within the park boundary. Hence all existing uses in Chequamegon Bay would continue. No appropriation would accompany the law, but the park would be able to compete for historic preservation project funding as it has done successfully with the other light stations. There would probably be no visitor access inside the tower, however, for the foreseeable future. Addition of the Ashland Light would incorporate the last of the area’s lighthouses into the park, raising our total to 7 light stations and 9 standing light towers – the most of any national park in the country. It also provides a great opportunity for Ashland to raise its profile as the southern gateway to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, as the light is highly visible from the city waterfront. NPS looks forward to enhancing that partnership.
This article appears in the 2014 Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Newspaper - Around the Archipelago
Last updated: April 10, 2015