Raspberry Island Lighthouse Restoration
The six light stations of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore comprise what has been called "the nation's finest collection of historic lighthouses." Of these, Raspberry Island Lighthouse has been called "The Showplace of the Apostles."
From 1863 through 1947, Raspberry Island lighthouse was home to keepers and their families: men, women, and children who led lives of loneliness and drama in a setting of unparalleled natural beauty. Today, an automated beacon still guides vessels on Lake Superior, while tours of the lighthouse fascinate visitors from around the world.
As the most readily accessible of the six island light stations, Raspberry Island is by far the most heavily visited, and it serves as the focal point of the park's interpretive efforts. However, the building is essentially a hollow shell; the bare interior gives visitors little evidence of the life and work of the keepers and their families.
Approximately 10,000 people visit the Raspberry Island Lighthouse each year. Rehabilitation of the Raspberry Island Light Station is presently taking place. The project includes the following components, currently under design:
These projects will bring one of the park's most significant historic structures to a standard that will enhance visitor enjoyment and understanding of the park's values, and provide for sustainable operations for the foreseeable future.
Last updated: April 10, 2015