Commercial Film/Photography Permits

The policy of National Park Service (NPS) is to allow commercial filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources.

Commercial filming defined as …”filming that involves the digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business or other entity for a market audience. This includes recordings such as those used for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement or similar project.”

Aniakchak National Monument & Preserve requires a permit for all commercial filming within the park to ensure protection of the park’s cultural, historic, and natural resources. Applicants who are granted permits are those who complete prior research on the park, its environment, and logistical considerations. Permits are not guaranteed and you should wait for final approval before making plans for travel and accommodations.

Much of the background information you need to know can be found elsewhere on the Aniakchak National Monument & Preserve website, or you can e-mail us. The commercial filming/photography guidelines for Alaska national parks are also a helpful reference.

Do I need a commercial film permit?

You will need a permit if you answer yes to any of the following questions:
  • Is your production a documentary, feature film or television show for a market audience?

  • Are you filming to collect stock footage for a current or future documentary, feature film or television show?

  • Will your production be used to promote a business, or a commercially available product?

  • For still photography: Are you using models, props, or requesting to photograph or film in areas normally closed to the public?

Will I need to complete a Wilderness Questionnaire?

You will need to complete a Wilderness Questionnaire if your proposed production takes place in either designated or eligible wilderness. You can request a copy of this questionnaire from the film coordinator office at

Deadlines for permits

To help protect park resources and to assist commercial film applicants as comprehensively as possible, permit deadlines have been established. Please note that all permit fees need to be paid and all initial paperwork completed before the permits will be considered. (See permit information below.) It is highly recommended to start the permitting process early as practical.

Please note changes to permit deadlines:

Starting January 2018: for summer/fall 2018, permits and associated fees must be submitted at least 60 days in advance.

Starting January 1, 2019, the following permit deadlines will be in place:

  • For spring/summer filming (May through September) – initial application & application fee due by April 1, proof of insurance and Wilderness Questionnaire* by April 15.
  • For Fall/Winter filming (October through April) – initial application and application fee due by August 1, proof of insurance and Wilderness Questionnaire* by August 15.

There are two types of applications:

  • Form 10-931 is the short application. This can be used when the production is 1-2 days in duration with cast and crew fewer than 5.
  • Form 10-932 is the longer application. This must be used when the production is more than 2 days in duration, requires multiple locations, and utilizes talent and/or cast/crew/support staff is greater than 5.

Location fees as well as cost of recovery fees will be charged. These fees are dependent on the size of the production and the number of days filming takes place in the park. Payment forms can be found on for filming location fees and filming permit fees.

Special stipulations for commercial filming at Aniakchak include (but are not limited to):

  • Group size cannot exceed 15 people total
  • Backcountry camping restrictions are 14 days in any one location and food storage and human waste removal requirements must be met
  • Same rules apply to commercial film groups as apply to park visitors. See the rules and regulations on the Aniakchak webpage:
  • Government facilities (buildings, vehicles, networks, electricity, etc.) cannot be used in support of commercial operations
  • Helicopter use requires a separate permit
  • Drone use is not permitted

Last updated: December 1, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 245
KIng Salmon, AK 99613


(907) 246-3305

Contact Us