The NPS is committed to individual and organizational
effectiveness in order to accomplish its strategic goals.
Training and Development is a catalyst for the
NPS to engage in continuous learning, professional growth, and organizational
The professional Training and Development Community
focuses on working with agency leaders to predict and develop strategies/approaches
that continue to a workforce capable of accomplishing NPS strategic
Guiding Principles provide the context in which
we accomplish our work.
- Our actions support the NPS strategic plan and workforce challenge.
- We serve the NPS workforce. We take direction from NPS leadership
responsible for establishing strategic direction for the bureau.
We provide services to employees to enhance their capacity to
respond to organizational needs.
- We partner with Human Resources to produce a workforce capable
of achieving the NPS strategic goals.
- We create development opportunities with government partners
and private organizations to increase our capabilities and performance.
- We get better results for the NPS by working as an interdisciplinary
- Develop a more flexible and capable T&D organization that
is responsive to NPS leadership and strategic goals.
- Build a competency-based, integrated system for managing employee
- Ensure all employees are grounded in the history and mission
of the NPS and understand their contributions to our success.
- Develop and implement a measurement system to monitor the effectiveness
of what we do.
- Develop an agile workforce that is capable of responding to
changing organizational and personal needs.
Core Business for Training & Development
CONNECT WITH CUSTOMERS
- Ask customers what they want
- Communicate learning opportunities
- Evaluate customer satisfaction
PROVIDE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Define core curriculum based on competencies
- Design and develop learning opportunities
- Determine delivery methods and sources
- Offer an annual program of learning opportunities to meet organizational
and employee needs
- Conduct on-going evaluations of programs and apply lessons learned
IMPROVE ORGANIZATION EFFECTIVENESS
- Increase understanding of how an organization works by looking
at systems and processes
- Work with clients to determine individual and organizational
- Facilitate solutions for growth and change
- Assist clients in evaluating outcomes
- Share lessons learned with the larger organization
INTEGRATE TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT, HUMAN RESOURCES,
AND EQUAL EMPLOYMENT PROCESSES
- Identify processes that can be integrated
- Integrate these processes
- Evaluate effectiveness
Standard Operating Procedures