|Efforts to establish a formal Anglican presence on St. Croix began in 1752 with purchase of land. St. John's Anglican Church was built in 1760. English, Irish and Scots living on St. Croix under Danish sovereignty (1733-1917) worshipped alongside blacks ("Free Coloured" and slaves, long before emancipation). A young Alexander Hamilton and his family worshipped, at least on occasion, at St. John's, very near their shop/residence. In 1797, the "Free Coloured" were granted the right to rent pews in the church. The deaths of many British soldiers are recorded in the burial register of the church; they died of tropical diseases. St. John's Church building, in the English Gothic Revival style, stands today in spite of destructive hurricanes, earthquakes and fire.