|Platted in 1884, the Polk County Homestead & Trust Co. Addition Historic District is historically significant, locally and under National Register Criterion A, because it calls attention to the Lowry Goode Boom, the biggest residential real estate scheme ever financed and developed in Des Moines during the 19th century. The Des Moines metropolitan area was enjoying great prosperity at this time, and the City of North Des Moines, an adjacent and independent suburb where the historic district is located, was rampant with new growth. A firm of Victorian capitalists, known as the Polk County Homestead & Trust Co., partnered with a bigger real estate investment firm, the Prospect Park Improvement Company, to amass the requisite capital to buy and develop a huge tract of land in the City of North Des Moines. (Figure 6) In turn, the Polk County Homestead & Trust Co. purchased one component of this tract from the Prospect Park firm, laid it out as the Polk County Homestead & Trust Co. Addition, and, in conjunction with the Prospect Park firm, launched an aggressive advertising campaign to promote the sale of town lots. As the largest component of this massive real estate scheme, the Polk County Homestead & Trust Co. Addition Historic District calls attention to this important chapter in Des Moines business history.