National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Hollin Hills Historic District
Reference Number 13000807
State Virginia
County Fairfax
Town Alexandria
Street Address Primary Streets: Beechwood Road, Brentwood Place, Elba Road, Glasgow Road, Martha's Road, Mason Hill Drive, Nordok Place, Paul Spring Road, Range Road, Rebecca Drive, Stafford Road, and Whiteoaks Drive
Multiple Property Submission Name Historic Residential Suburbs ofthe United States, 1830-1960
Status Listed 9/30/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Community Planning & Development
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000807.pdf
Image
The Hollin Hills Historic District is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A and C, and Criteria Consideration G, and is significant as the work of renowned modernist architect Charles M. Goodman. The architectural design is recognized as significant at the state level and the community planning and development efforts are nationally significant. Hollin Hills is nominated under the Multiple Property Document, Historic Residential Suburbs in the United States, 1830-1960, as a "Post-World War II and Early Freeway Suburb." The areas of significance are Architecture and Community Planning & Development, with Hollin Hills reflecting the creativity of Robert C. Davenport's financing and the inventiveness of Goodman's modem house designs featuring open plans, non-traditional modem appearance, and prefabricated components. Further, the siting and landscape plans of Hollin Hills illustrate the success of designing with the land rather than altering it, resulting in the need for many different house types, each addressing the natural site conditions. Extending beyond the fifty-year mark, the period of significance reflects the historic district's full development period, beginning more than sixty years ago in 1946, when land was first purchased as the site of this residential subdivision, and ending in 1971, when the real estate development office closed. The 326-acre Hollin Hills residential neighborhood, developed between 1949 and 1971 on property purchased in 1946 and 1956, exemplifies merchant-builder housing, with Robert Davenport acting as developer/builder and Charles Goodman serving as architect and planner. The pioneering modem design of standardized modular unit types, the open interior plans augmented by trimless window walls, the economical construction practices with prefabrication and assembly taking place on site, and the amalgamated architectural design and landscape planning reflected Goodman's strong conviction that the traditional and widely accepted Colonial Revival-style house had no place in the twentieth century. The site plan, which celebrated the existing sloping and wooded topography rejected by fellow developers, was undertaken by prolific modernist landscape designer, Lou Bernard Voigt, under the direction of Goodman. Hollin Hills, and the collaborative partnership of Goodman and Davenport, received national acclaim and international attention as the first planned subdivision to combine novel land planning, modem house and landscape designs, and a merchandising plan that required the lots and house designs to be sold separately.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria