Cover image: HABS photographer Alex Bush, working with HABS team member Katherine Floyd, took this view of the brick milk house at the Otts Place in Greensboro, Alabama, in the spring of 1935. Based at the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University) in Auburn, the Alabama District Office of HABS employed several women, many of them design students at the Institute, one of the few architecture departments in the U.S. open to women at the time. Although her identity and role in the survey remain a mystery, the woman shown here standing next to the milk house is a reminder of the many contributions women from all backgrounds made to HABS during the 1930s. (Alex Bush, photographer, April 9, 1935. Courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey, National Park Service.)
View the original cover image in the Library of Congress's Historic American Buildings Survey collection.