Help Keep Yosemite Beautiful!
Become a volunteer!
Join the Habitat Protectors of Yosemite (HaPY) at our weekly drop-in program! Volunteers help protect and restore endangered plant and wildlife habitat in Yosemite Valley and other high value habitat areas in Yosemite National Park. Visit some of the most scenic areas in the park and help Resources Management & Science staff manage the park's precious resources. Plan to get dirty working on a variety of resource management projects such as manually removing invasive plant species or maintaining native plantings. Get involved and meet new people. Take an active role in managing your national park. Volunteer hours count towards earning the America the Beautiful volunteer pass.
- Individuals and groups welcome. No pre-registration required for individuals. Drop-ins welcome. Groups larger than 10 are required to pre-register by calling 209/379-1308 or 379-1850. Groups can also schedule additional weekend or weekday dates.
- All ages are welcome! Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent. All participants under 18 years of age are required to have a volunteer agreement [392 kb PDF] signed by their parent or legal guardian. Forms are also available from the work leader at the start of the work session.
- No experience necessary. Training will be provided. Adults, families, and youth welcome. Fulfills community service requirements.
When & Where in Yosemite Valley: Habitat Protectors of Yosemite meets 9 a.m. to noon Sundays beginning May 6, 2012. Season typically lasts through Labor Day Meet in front of the Valley Visitor Center to follow the work leader to the work site.
For more information, call: 209/379-1850.
What to Bring
- Each volunteer must have long pants and closed-toe shoes. Please wear clothes that can get dirty. Wearing a hat, long-sleeves, and sunscreen are also recommended. Wear layers for changing weather and bring rain gear, if necessary. Bring water and snacks. Gloves and tools are provided.
- Bring the appropriate waiver forms (see below). Forms are also available from the work leader at the start of the work session.
- Housing and camping/RV sites are not available for the drop-in program.
- Please bring the completed forms to the project.
- Youth/Adult/Groups: Complete the volunteer agreement [392 kb PDF] and bring it with you to the event. Every volunteer under the age of 18 must have a Volunteer Agreement with the parent/guardian approval section signed and dated by their parent or legal guardian.
- Position Description: For a general description of the volunteer work, download the position description [31 kb PDF].
Volunteer Contact Information
- Contact the Yosemite general volunteer office at 209/379-1850 or e-mail staff for more information and to schedule a group work session. Note: More volunteer opportunities available! Groups & families of 10 or more people can book a private work session and get free park entrance and a group campsite.
- Visit our volunteer webpage for more information about additional volunteer opportunities.