Help Keep Yosemite Beautiful by Volunteering!
Wednesday Mornings at 9 am
Join our weekly volunteer drop-in program and make a point to give back! The projects include invasive species removal, seed collection, restoration work, and maintaining native plant species. By volunteering, you will help the Division of Resources Management and Science support Yosemite’s biodiversity. Plan to spend your morning outside getting dirty. Here is a great opportunity to spend a few hours with a park ranger while having a hands-on experience in the park.
Volunteers make a difference by helping to protect, preserve, and restore valuable plant and wildlife habitats in Yosemite National Park. Get involved and meet new people, learn from a park ranger, and take an active role in becoming a steward in the park. Whether it’s your first time to the park or you are a returning visitor, come out and make new memories. Volunteering provides a great opportunity to build a more intimate connection with the park.
When and Where
What to Bring
- Meet in front of the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center located in Yosemite Valley.
- From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Wednesday mornings at 9 am in 2014. (Varies each summer:check the Yosemite Guide or call 209/379-1850.)
- Each volunteer must wear long pants and closed-toe shoes. Please wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
- Wearing a hat, long-sleeves, and sunscreen are recommended. Weather and temperatures can change through the morning, so be prepared with layers and rain gear, if necessary.
- Bring water and snacks.
- Groups: Register in advance and bring all appropriate forms (see “Group Size” below). Forms are also available on-site from the work leader and must be filled out and signed prior to participation.
- No experience necessary; all training will be provided. This program is good for adults and youth, and fulfills community service requirements. Bring your friends, family, club, or social group for this hands-on experience.
- The work leader for the project will provide gloves, safety equipment, tools, and extra water.
- The work leader will provide proper training for handling and use of tools
- Individuals, drop-ins, families, and groups are encouraged!
- Individuals: No pre-registration required.
- Groups: Groups and families larger than 10 are required to pre-register by calling 209/379-1308 or 379-1850 so that we can ensure enough tools are available. Groups can also schedule additional weekend or weekday dates. (See “Contact Information” below)
- NOTE: More volunteer opportunities are available for groups and families of 10 or more people! Groups can book in advance a private work session and may be provided with free park entrance and/or a group campsite depending on length of volunteer project.
- All ages are welcome! Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent. All participants under 18 years of age are required to have a volunteer agreement [392 kb PDF] signed by their parent or legal guardian. Forms are also available from the work leader at the start of the work session.
- Please complete and bring the volunteer agreement [392 kb PDF] with you to the project. Form is good for groups, individuals, and youths. All participants under 18 years of age are required to have a volunteer agreement signed by their parent or legal guardian.
- Please view the position description [31 kb PDF], for a general description of the volunteer work.
- For any Individual, drop-in, or group volunteer question regarding Yosemite, contact the volunteer office at 209/379-1850 or by email for more information and to schedule a group work.
- Find more information about volunteering in Yosemite.