National Register: Yosemite's List
At Yosemite National Park, there are more than 60 National Register properties with nearly 600 individual resources that have National Register status. Yosemite is home, also, to five National Historic Landmarks. Some properties have been determined "eligible" for listing, including both individual properties and historic districts. A determination of eligibility is an official finding, which requires State Historic Preservation Office concurrence, that a property meets the criteria for eligibility in the National Register without actually listing the property in the National Register. Upon further documentation, a property that is determined eligible can be listed on the National Register. Find Yosemite's National Register properties listed below with attached PDFs of the original nominations.
Ongoing National Register Work at Yosemite
- Register nominations are being prepared for all of Yosemite's High Sierra Camps. These include Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, May Lake, Glen Aulin, Vogelsang, Merced Lake and Sunrise. Staff seek to add necessary documentation to existing determinations of eligibility to convert them to listed properties.
- The Yosemite Museum, currently a National Register listed property, is being nominated as a National Historic Landmark.
- A National Register nomination is being prepared for the The Half Dome Cables and Trail.
- National Register nominations are being prepared for nine backcountry cabins. These include: two backcountry ski huts, a fire guard station, a facility associated with the Happy Isles Fish Hatchery, and five snow survey shelters.
- Multiple Property Document: Yosemite has
prepared a Multiple Property Document titled “Historic Resources of
Yosemite National Park.” The Yosemite MPD establishes themes, trends, and
patterns of history at Yosemite and organizes them into historic contexts and
property types. The historic contexts and property types established in the MPD
will be used in the future to nominate additional properties to the National
Register of Historic Places.