Craig Pass Closed for the Season; Mammoth to Norris Closed Sept. 14-30
The road linking West Thumb and Old Faithful is closed for the season—traffic should detour through West Thumb, Lake, and Canyon. The road from Mammoth to Norris is closed for two weeks—traffic should detour over Dunraven Pass. More »
Norris Area Historic Highlights
The Norris Soldier Station
The Norris Soldier Station (Museum of the National Park Ranger)was an outlying station for soldiers to patrol and watch over Norris Geyser Basin. It was among the longest occupied stations in the park. A prior structure was built in 1886, replaced after fire in 1897, and modified in 1908. After the Army years, the building was used as a Ranger Station and residence until the 1959 earthquake caused structural damage. The building was restored in 1991.
The Norris Geyser Basin Museum
The Norris Geyser Basin Museum is one of the park's original trailside museums built in 1929-30. It has always been a museum. It is an outstanding example of a stone-and-log architecture. (More Information)
Digs by the Midwest Archaeological Center in Norris and Madison campgrounds reveal that people have camped in these areas for at least 10,000 years. Campfire remnants, obsidian flakes, and chips and bone fragments show that these campgrounds have always been favorites! Other such sites abound throughout the Norris area, particularly along the Solfatara Trail that connects Norris Campground with the Obsidian Cliff area.
Did You Know?
There were no wolves in Yellowstone in 1994. The wolves that were reintroduced in 1995 and 1996 thrived and there are now over 300 of their descendents living in the Greater Yellowstone Area.