Minimize environmental impacts from operational vehicle use.
- Reduce fossil fuel consumption for the use of fleet vehicles from a 2003 baseline. (Baseline year and % reductions consistent with EO 13423 and NPS Green Parks Plan) (Action items due: by 2016 - 18 percent reduction; by 2020 - 30 percent reduction)
- Implement a preventive maintenance program focused on operational techniques, including engine and tire pressure maintenance. (Action items due: 2012)
- Ensure best fuel efficiency technologies are used for all fleet improvements and upgrades, including watercraft and over-snow vehicles. (Action items due: 2012)
- Provide opportunities and incentives for fuel-efficient travel to work and travel at work practices. (Action items due: 2012)
- Establish number of vehicles needed to optimize fleet and carry out daily work needs. (Action items due: 2016)
Minimize environmental impacts from visitor transportation.
- Implement where feasible, shuttles and transit systems to popular destinations throughout Yellowstone, surrounding communities, and local airports. (Action items due: 2020)
- Design and implement pedestrian-friendly transit-oriented improvements in developed areas. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Identify and apply best practices in sustainability for road design, construction and maintenance. (Action items due: 2013)
- Work with surrounding communities and agencies to implement strategies and programs for sustainable roads and trails within and beyond park boundaries. (Action items due: Ongoing)
Communicate the importance of fuel conservation to inspire visitors and employees to reduce greenhouse gas emissions caused by vehicle use.
- Adopt fuel-efficient vehicle operation practices including "no idling" and "minimal rapid acceleration." Implement programs with education and guidelines. (Action items due: 2012)
- Share fuel conservation strategies and educate employees and visitors about greenhouse gas emissions associated with travel and transport. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Offer incentives to visitors that use environmentally preferable means of transportation including public transit and alternative fuel vehicles. (Action items due: 2016)