Set a high standard in energy performance improvements and meet or exceed NPS goals for energy management.
- Reduce the park's overall energy consumption from a 2003 baseline. (Baseline year and percentage reductions consistent with EO 13423 and NPS Green Parks Plan). (Action items due: by 2016 - 35 percent reduction; by 2020 - 40 percent reduction)
- Conduct comprehensive energy audits every four years. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Comply with energy mandates from the Energy Independence and Security Act, Executive Order 13423, and the Guiding Principles (High performance and Sustainable Buildings Guidance). (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Develop and implement an Energy Monitoring Plan to track and report energy use (including electric, propane, hot water and steam) for high use buildings and those over 5,000 square feet. (Action items due: 2012)
- Prioritize and implement retrofits and updates to energy inefficient systems such as generators, boilers, indoor and outdoor lighting, appliances and equipment. (Action items due: 2012)
- Design new buildings to be at least 30 percent more efficient than required by national energy standards (Guiding Principles).(Action items due: 2012)
- Design major renovations to reduce the building's energy consumption by at least 20 percent below a 2003 baseline (Guiding Principles). Historic buildings comply with the maximum extent practical. (Action items due: 2012)
- Increase the use of energy from sources that are renewable and sustainable. (Action items due: by 2016 - 20 percent; by 2020 - 30 percent)
- Investigate opportunities to generate renewable energy within Yellowstone and determine the potential for water, wind, and solar energy production. (Action items due: Ongoing)
Impress upon park employees and visitors best practices for energy conservation to inspire them to conserve energy in Yellowstone and at home.
- Share best practices in energy conservation and communicate energy reduction projects in Yellowstone with employees and visitors. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Emphasize visitor service facilities in energy reduction strategies. (Action items due: 2013)