• An aerial view of Old Faithful erupting taken from Observation Point with the Old Faithful Inn to the side.


    National Park ID,MT,WY


If you plan to use the park campgrounds, remember that the regular time limits and fees apply to researchers. In general, you may stay in Yellowstone campgrounds no more than a total of 14 days between July 1st and September 15th and for 30 days during the rest of the year. Most front-country campsites require advanced reservations.

You will need a backcountry permit for any overnight backcountry work. Backcountry permits are available at most Visitor Centers. Backcountry campsites can be reserved in advance for $20 or you can reserve a permit no more than 48 hours in advance for free. However, the actual permit needs to be picked up at a Backcountry Office before your hike. Backpacking regulations and advance reservation forms are available on request by downloading the online Backcountry Trip Planner, or by writing to:

Backcountry Office
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park , WY 82190

or call: 307-344-2160.

Procedures for Conducting Night Studies

Camping is regulated in Yellowstone to protect the natural resources. If your study requires an overnight stay away from a designated campsite, you must obtain special authorization when you apply for your research permit or renewal. You must also obtain a backcountry permit for camping in an undesignated campsite. Apply for authorization prior to your fieldwork by contacting the Research Permit Office at (307) 344-2239.

Did You Know?

Bear Cubs

Even though the animals of Yellowstone seem tame they are still wild. Feeding the animals is not permitted in any way, and all visitors must keep 100 yards away from wolves and bears, and 25 yards from other animals.