Wandering garter snake
Scientific name: Thamnophis elegans vagrans
- Most common reptile in the park.
- 6 to 30 inches long.
- Brown, brownish green, or gray with three light stripes: one running the length of the back and a stripe on each side.
- Usually found near water in all areas of the park.
- Eats small rodents, fish, frogs, tadpoles, salamanders, earthworms, slugs, snails, and leeches.
- May discharge musk from glands at the base of the tale when threatened.
- Gives birth to as many as 20 live young in late summer or fall.