Scientific name: Crotalis viridis viridis
Habitat and Behavior
- Can be more than 48 inches in length.
- Greenish gray to olive green, greenish brown, light brown, or yellowish with dark brown splotches down its back that are bordered in white.
- Only dangerously venomous snake in the park.
- Lives in the lower Yellowstone River areas of the park, including Reese Creek, Stephens Creek, and Rattlesnake Butte, where the habitat is drier and warmer than elsewhere in the park.
- Usually defensive rather than aggressive.
- Only two snake bites are known during the history of the park.