Goals and Objectives
Guide Yellowstone in exemplary environmental stewardship, striving to reduce human impacts on the environment.
Reduce the impact of park development and operations on global climate change.
- Conduct annual reviews of Yellowstone's Strategic Plan for Sustainability. (Action items due: Annually)
- Foster collaborative initiatives for Yellowstone that involve the NPS, park concessioners, surrounding government agencies and communities. (Action items due: 2012)
- Develop strategies to engage with, and solicit support from, private sector organizations including corporate partners and non-profit organizations. (Action items due: 2012)
- Develop and implement a project review system that includes input from experts in sustainable practices. (Action items due: 2013)
- Identify opportunities for sustainability, and methods to reduce impacts on the environment in all planning, site design and construction proposals. (Action items due: 2013)
- Ensure that databases identify and track key sustainability metrics. (Action items due: 2013)
- Continuously explore emerging technology, and support assessment and implementation where appropriate. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Commission an annual sustainability audit and review recommended measures. (Action items due: Annually)
- Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by park operations from a 2008 baseline. (Baseline year and % reduction consistent with EO 13423 and NPS Green Parks Plan). (Action items due: by 2016 - 30 percent reduction; by 2020 - 50 percent reduction)
- Record, assess and minimize carbon footprint of all planning, design and facility improvement actions. (Action items due: 2013)
Live out a culture empowering employees to contribute to a unified vision for the "Greening of Yellowstone."
- Identify key champions in environmental stewardship, define roles and responsibilities and provide support for them to educate others and carry out sustainability initiatives. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Provide opportunities that inspire and motivate employees to become more involved in environmental stewardship. (Action items due: Ongoing)
- Empower the Yellowstone Environmental Coordinating Committee to foster collaborative, sustainable initiatives for NPS and concessioner operations in Yellowstone