Joubert & White surrey in the park's museum collection.
This type of surrey was built by the Joubert & White Company of Glens Falls, New York, and is
sometimes referred to as a "Glens Falls buckboard". This specific example has commonly been referred to as the
"Paymaster's buggy", but research suggests that before 1912, the U.S.
Army used only Abbot-Downing Company Concord buggies. Judge John W. Meldrum
(the fourth U.S.
commissioner in Yellowstone) may have used this surrey;
the style of the vehicle number, however, suggests it may have been part of the
Yellowstone Park Transportation Company fleet prior to 1917. Vehicles of this
type would have been available to small private parties touring the park. It
was collected from a loft in the park's old fire cache in 1996. The body was
found separated from the undercarriage, with only three wheels (two originals
and one reproduction), which were also detached. A fourth wheel was fabricated
and the other three wheels trued, and the body was reattached to the