Abbot-Downing "Tally-Ho" stagecoach in the park's museum collection.
The Yellowstone Park Transportation Company's roots date back to it's
association with the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1883 a stage line was
created which ran from the Northern Pacific terminal in Cinnabar, Montana
(later relocated at Gardiner, Montana
to and through Yellowstone Park
By 1886, the company had a fleet of sightseeing vehicles, the most popular
being the Yellowstone Coaches, which were painted bright yellow and
manufactured by the Abbot-Downing Company of Concord,
. The larger six-horse
"Tally-Ho" stagecoaches transported visitors from the train depot to
the hotel at Mammoth Hot Springs. Yellowstone Observation Wagons, which had a
four-horse team, were then used to take visitors on the "Grand Loop"
tour through the park.