White Open Touring Buses
1917 eleven-passenger TEB open touring bus, Y.P.T. Co. 1. Museum Catalog Number YELL 90070. This vehicle has a 4-cylinder engine, and Prest-o-Lite acetylene lighting system. It originally had eight doors, but was modified to four operating curbside doors (the doors on the driver's side were screwed shut) for passengers' safety. The body is constructed of sheet metal over wood, with linoleum-covered running boards and interior floors. The convertible canvas top and luggage boot are reproductions. It has four bench seats with leather upholstery, and leather straps behind the seats to hold blankets for passengers (the vehicle is not heated).
(YELL 33925) The Yellowstone Park Transportation Company fleet at Mammoth Hot Springs headquarters in 1920. White Motor Company seven-passenger touring cars are at the left foreground, most of the other vehicles are the eleven-passenger models. This facility and many of the vehicles were destroyed in a disastrous fire in 1925.
(YELL 90070) White Motor Company eleven-passenger touring bus, "Old Number One".
Did You Know?
Prior to the establishment of the National Park Service, the U.S. Army protected Yellowstone between 1886 and 1918. Fort Yellowstone was established at Mammoth Hot Springs for that purpose.