• A bull elk bugles in Yellowstone National Park

    Yellowstone

    National Park ID,MT,WY

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Craig Pass Closed for the Season

    The road linking West Thumb and Old Faithful is closed for the season—traffic should detour through West Thumb, Lake, and Canyon. More »

1916 White Motor Company Service Truck

(YELL 106384-1, 106384-2) YPT Company service truck converted from a touring bus showing the condition of the vehicle at the time it was acquired in 1991.
White Motor Company 1916 Model TEB truck converted from eleven-passenger bus, Y.P. Co. 902 (previously Y.P.T. CO. 902). Museum Catalog Number YELL 106384. The 1929 Yellowstone Park Transportation Company Insurance Inventory in the park's archives lists this vehicle as a "Truck Special Body with Holmes #250 Wrecker with V Bar". It has a 4-cylinder G.E.C. engine, and the body is cut even with the back of the bench seat with a utility style body added to the remaining body. A toolbox abuts the seat, with additional toolboxes on the sides of the bed.
 
YPT Company service truck converted from a touring bus showing  its condition following conservation treatment
A tripod made of welded angle iron with a hand-powered winch is at the center of the bed. The curbside of the cab has remnants of a second door, the street side does not (possibly indicating that the conversion was done after street side doors were removed from all buses for safety reasons). The front bumper is from a Lincoln touring car (at one time, the YPT Company fleet included Lincolns used to transport VIP visitors) and was probably added sometime after the initial conversion. The wooden spoke wheels have rubber diamond tread tires manufactured by Goodyear.
 
(YELL-2012-2) Another recent acquisition to the photo archives shows part of the YPT Co. fleet of maintenance or service vehicles in Gardiner. Note the tripod or "V Bar" mounted on the beds of the vehicles.

(YELL 106384-1, 106384-2) YPT Company service truck converted from a touring bus showing the condition of the vehicle at the time it was acquired in 1991. The second image depicts the same vehicle following recent conservation treatment.

(YELL-2012-2) Another recent acquisition to the photo archives shows part of the YPT Co. fleet of maintenance or service vehicles in Gardiner. Note the tripod or "V Bar" mounted on the beds of the vehicles.

Did You Know?

Seventh Cavalry Ensignia Pin.

Prior to the establishment of the National Park Service, the U.S. Army protected Yellowstone between 1886 and 1918. Fort Yellowstone was established at Mammoth Hot Springs for that purpose.