Yellowstone Website Scavenger Hunt
To successfully complete this scavenger hunt you must run around the Yellowstone website and collect the correct answers to five questions. You will be directed to the sections of the site that contain the answers but you must search them out from there. When you reach the page with the correct answer to the 5th question you will find a link that will allow you to check your answers.
Good Luck! On with the hunt!
1. In 1898 a trail was built into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone so that visitors could be led on hikes to the base of the Lower Falls. Who built the trail and led the hikes? You will find the answer somewhere in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Online Tour.
2. In 1886, fourteen years after Yellowstone National Park was established, there was a U.S. Army base built at the north end of the park. What was the army's primary function in Yellowstone? You will find the answer somewhere in the Historic Fort Yellowstone Online Tour.
3. When a geyser has a large cone of stone that has built up over time at the base of the geyser it is a pretty safe bet that the geyser is a very old one. Which geyser in the Old Faithful area has the largest cone and is therefore probably the oldest geyser in that area? You will find the answer somewhere in the Old Faithful Area Online Tour.
4. One of the boardwalks through Mammoth Hot Springs was repeatedly buried by mineral deposits coming from the run-off waters of one of the springs. How was this problem solved? You will find the answer somewhere in the Mammoth Hot Springs Online Tour.
5. In 1989 one of Yellowstones geysers exploded. I don't mean erupted, I mean exploded! When it exploded pieces of rock were thrown 216 feet (66 m) from the geyser. What is the name of that geyser? You will find the answer somewhere in the Norris Geyser Basin Online Tour.
If you were not able to find all the answers, this link will take you to a page that will direct you to the pages with the answers. Only use this link if you really, really give up on the hunt.