Wrangell-St. Elias Visitor Center to close for the winter on Nov. 1st.
Wrangell-St. Elias's main visitor center, located near Copper Center, AK, will be closed for the winter starting November 1. The visitor center will re-open on April 1, 2015.
Unwanted Visitors Have Arrived
Invasive plants are those that have been introduced here from elsewhere, either deliberately, or accidentally. Many are popular as ornamentals and backyard plantings, but when they escape into the wild, quickly overrun native plants. Alaskan wildlife and insects may not consume or use these exotic plants. Some invasive plants even change ecosystems by utilizing large amounts of water and nutrients, altering soil and water resources, and even increasing fire frequency. In this way, diverse Alaskan habitats supporting many species may give way to monocultures of useless foreign weeds.
In the past, the harsh climate and isolation has protected Alaska from exotics. Recently, however, some of the most harmful weeds of the lower 48 states have begun to appear, grow, and spread. A recent study has already tallied over 50 species of exotic plants in Alaska National Parks. Many have been identified in Wrangell-St. Elias. Luckily, so far they've only established a foothold in disturbed areas along roads and near structures, not in the expansive backcountry.
As Alaska continues to warm, visitation increases, and development progresses, exotic plants will increase in number and extent. Although the invasion is just beginning, it may not be too late to literally "nip it in the bud." During the summer of 2005, park roads and visitor areas were closely surveyed. Recently volunteers pulled and destroyed over 100 garbage bags of invasive weeds, primarily sweet clover and pigweed. Work will continue this summer. Hopefully this "rapid detection, rapid response" strategy will help keep these maurauders in check and preserve Alaska's dynamic, productive, and native landscapes. To learn more, ask a park ranger and find out how you can help.
Did You Know?
The oldest road in Alaska, the Richardson Highway, evolved from a 5-foot wide pack route called the Valdez Trail. This route, initiated in 1898, served as the only land access to Interior Alaska until completion of the Alaska Highway in 1942.