Fees & Reservations
NPS Photo by Mike Landrum
There are no fees to drive through or hike in the park. There are fees associated with visiting the cave or camping in the park's campground. There are also fees associated with special park uses such as special events and professional photography. These activities need a special use permit. Click here to see scheduled times of tours.
Tickets for most cave tours (listed below) are sold on a first-come, first-served basis; however, reservations are accepted for schools or large groups. Groups need to make arrangements several weeks in advance. Call 605-745-4600 for information or reservations.
Active duty military members and their dependents are eligible for a free annual pass that provides entrance to lands managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and the U.S. Forest Service. The America theBeautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Program also offers a free lifetime pass for people with disabilities, a $10 lifetime senior pass for those age 62 and over, and an $80 annual pass for the general public. Holders of the Senior (Golden Age)/Access Passes are eligible for half price tickets for the cardholder only. The America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass (Annual Pass) does not waive Expanded Amenity Fees such as cave tours.Reservations are strongly recommended for the more strenuous Candlelight Tour and required for the Wild Cave (spelunking) Tour. Reservations are accepted beginning one month before the tour and must be made by phone. Call 605-745-4600 for information or reservations.
1. Garden of Eden Cave Tour - $10.00 for adults 17 and older, $5.00 for children 6-16, children 5 and under are free, $5.00 for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
Representative features of Wind Cave are seen on this tour which enters and leaves the cave by elevator. This one hour tour is our least strenuous with 150 stairs.
2. Natural Entrance Cave Tour - $12.00 for adults 17 and older, $6.00 for children 6-16, children 5 and under are free, $6.00 for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
Visitors walk through the middle level of the cave where boxwork is abundant. This tour begins at the walk-in entrance and exits by elevator. This moderately strenuous, 1¼ hour tour has 300 stairs (mostly down).
3. Fairgrounds Cave Tour - $12.00 for adults 17 and older, $6.00 for children 6-16, children 5 and under are free, $6.00 for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
This tour includes some of the larger rooms found in the developed area of the cave. Visitors will see examples of many cave formations, including Wind Cave boxwork. The tour enters and exits the cave by elevator. This moderately strenuous tour has 450 stairs and lasts 1½ hours.
4. Historic Candlelight Cave Tour - $12.00 for adults 17 and older, $6.00 for children 8-16, $6.00 for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
Experience the cave by candlelight. This tour takes place in a less developed, unlighted part of the cave. Each participant will carry a candle bucket. Shoes with non-slip soles are required. No sandals! This tour is limited to 10 people and the minimum age is 8. This strenuous tour covers one mile of rugged trail and lasts 2 hours. Reservations are strongly recommended. Reservations may only be made by telephone, up to 30 days in advance of the tour - (605) 745-4600.
5. Wild Cave Tour - $30.00 for adults, half price for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
Explore the cave away from the developed trails. On this 4-hour tour visitors will be introduced to basic, safe caving. Wear old clothes and gloves, as much of the trip will be crawling. Long pants, long sleeved shirts and sturdy, lace up boots or shoes with non-slip soles are required. The park provides hard hats, lights and kneepads. Please do not bring jewelry, watches and other valuables on the tour. This tour is limited to 10 people and the minimum age is 16. We require a signed consent form for those 17 and under. Reservations are required. Reservations may only be made by telephone, up to 30 days in advance of the tour - (605) 745-4600.
6. Tours for Visitors with Special Needs - $5.00 for adults 17 and older, $2.50 for children 6-16, children 5 and under are free, $2.50 for holders of the Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports.
Limited areas of the cave are accessible to wheelchairs. Please call ahead (605-745-4600) to make special arrangements or ask at the information desk for a special tour.
7. Elk Mountain Campground. Enjoy camping on the edge of the prairie. Elk Mountain Campground offers campers a unique opportunity to view the plants and animals of the southern Black Hills. The fee is $18.00 per site per night. Holders of a Golden Age (Senior)/Access Passports received a half-price discount. In the off season when the water is turned off (generlly November through March), the fee is $9.00 a night per site. Visitors holding a Senior or Access Pass, or a Golden Age or Golden Access Pass pay half price a night per site.
Did You Know?
Winds caused by changes in barometric pressure are what give Wind Cave its name. These winds have been measured at the cave's walk-in entrance at over 70 mph. The winds at the natural entrance of the cave attracted the attention of Native Americans and early settlers.