1st Grade - Similarities and Differences
Goals: This unit sensitizes students to the environment and excites them about exploring nature. The students will compare their home environment with the environment in the park. They will begin to discuss biodiversity and its importance in nature.
Objectives: By completing this unit the students will be able to:
- define similarities and differences, the basic concept of biodiversity.
- create a list of similarities and differences between people in their community.
- create a list of similarities and differences between animals and between plants.
- recall 3 of the components of a habitat.
- discuss how similarities and differences affect competition for food.
These objectives will be achieved in three stages:
- Nametags, pre-visit activities and information - teacher(s) will complete Nametag Activity and select at least one Pre-visit Activity to do in the classroom before visiting Wind Cave National Park. Selection of activities will be communicated to the ranger leading park program.
- Park activities - ranger directed with assistance and supervision of the teacher and/or teacher aide.
- Post-visit activities - teacher(s) will select at least one Post-visit Activity to do in the classroom after visiting Wind Cave National Park.
Nametags - Who Am I?
Your Classroom As A Community
Animal Worksheet Instructions
Animal Worksheet Graphics
Noah's Ark Graphics
Web of Life
Animal Connections Game
Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle
If you need a PDF reader click here.
If you are using a voice web reader and cannot translate PDF files and wish these documents, contact the park at (605) 745-4600. The park has a TTY.