• Wind Cave National Park - Two Worlds

    Wind Cave

    National Park South Dakota

Historic District - Visitor Center - 1936

Visitor Center prior to 1980
Visitor Center before 1980 addition
NPS Photo
 

The visitor center building was built in 1936. It was designed to blend in with a temporary stream valley to its rear and provide the feeling of natural approaches to the cave entrance. It is a wood framed building covered with yellow-tan stucco. Exterior walls on the back side of the original building are made of sandstone blocks cut from a quarry outside the park, near Hot Springs. Interior rafters are made of rough-hewn timbers. Some of the original features have been modified or covered as a result of a large-scale remodeling project completed in 1980. However, the front of the building bears a strong likeness to the 1935 original.

Did You Know?

Prairie Dog Barking

Lewis and Clark, while on their journey up the Missouri River in 1804, noted that this "wild dog of the prairie...appears here in infinite numbers." More...