Doan Creek Restoration Time-Line
- Early 1990s, the Park Service decided that Doan Creek should be managed as a stream as well as an irrigation channel.
- 1999, the park holds a series of public meetings regarding long-range planning for the Mission.
- 2000, a for the park is completed, containing a goal to restore Doan Creek to its original state.
- 2004, the funding proposal for Doan Creek is approved.
- 2005, Whitman Mission begins restoration of the original Doan Creek channel.
- 2006 & 2007, the banks of the restored creek are covered by black mulch cloth to keep invasive species, such as reed canary grass, from taking over and dominating the area.
- 2007, park staff and volunteers plant native trees and shrubs along the creek.
Written by Roger Trick, Chief of Interpretation and Resource Management, Whitman Mission NHS