A patchwork quilt is a blanket or bed cover.
- A patchwork quilt is made of little patches of cloth cut in different shapes and sizes.
- The little patches are sewed together to make a pattern. This is called a quilt block. There are many different quilt block patterns. One of the patterns on this page is a maple leaf pattern and the other is a bow tie pattern. Can you tell which is which?
- The quilt blocks are then sewn together to make a quilt top.
- After the quilt top is made, a layer of cotton is placed underneath to make the quilt soft and fluffy. This is the batting. Then, a large piece of cloth, the quilt backing, is placed underneath the batting.
- Last of all, very small stitches are made around each part of the design through all three layers. This is called quilting.
Make a maple leaf quilt block or design your own quilt block.