White House Visitor Center Rehabilitation and Closure Information
The White House Visitor Center is closed for rehabilitation. A temporary visitor center is located near the Ellipse Visitor Pavilion, just west of the intersection of 15th and E streets, NW.
White House Fence Restoration and Sidewalk Closure
The National Park Service is restoring the White House fence along Pennsylvania Avenue, portions of which are believed to date back to 1818. During this restoration work, sections of the White House sidewalk will be temporarily closed for public safety. More »
Construction Project Affecting the White House Sidewalk
Due to a construction project, a portion of both the White House sidewalk and Pennsylvania Avenue near East Executive Avenue will be closed until April 2015.
White House Gardens & Grounds Tours
The White House Gardens and Grounds Tours will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 16th, and from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 17th, 2010.
The Kitchen Garden, a new addition to the South Lawn, will be viewable from a distance along the tour route. There will be a visual explanation to help educate tourists on the elements of the garden.
The tours are open to the public; however, a ticket is required for all attendees, including small children. The National Park Service will distribute free, timed tickets at the Ellipse Visitor Pavilion located at 15th and E Streets on each tour day beginning at 8:00 a.m. Tickets will be distributed -- one ticket per person -- on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tours of the Residence will be closed on the dates of the Garden Tours.
The U.S. Secret Service reserves the right to prohibit any other personal items.
Strollers, wheelchairs, and cameras are permitted.
In case of inclement weather, the Garden Tours will be cancelled. Please call the 24-hour information line at (202) 456-7041 to check on the status of the event.
Did You Know?
In 1790 George Washington selected a ridge overlooking the Potomac River as the site for the President's House. Known today as President's Park, this was the first land acquired for the District of Columbia.