White House Visitor Center Rehabilitation and Closure Information
The White House Visitor Center is closed for rehabilitation. A temporary visitor center is located near the Ellipse Visitor Pavilion, just west of the intersection of 15th and E streets, NW.
NPS Restores Eagle Sculpure
Contact: Bill Line, Public Affairs Officer, NCRO, 202-619-7222
Maintenance workers and park staff from Presidents Park and from the National Capital Region recently helped install a 52-inch-wide, 120-lbs. sculpted bronze eagle onto the base of the Sherman statue, located immediately south of the Main Treasury Department building and just south and east of the White House.
The new eagle replaces an original bronze eagle that was vandalized and stolen in 1976. The vandals were never caught. Washington, D.C. sculptor Gordan Kray, who also created the sculpture of Khalil Gibran statue located across Massachusetts Avenue from the British Embassy, created the eagle.
Did You Know?
On March 3, 1931, the Star-Spangled Banner, by Francis Scott Key, is approved by President Herbert Hoover and Congress as the national anthem. The lyrics of the anthem were inspired during the bombing of Fort HcHenry by British ships at the head of Baltimore harbor in September of 1814.