• View of the White House's north side from Layfatte Park

    President's Park (White House)

    District of Columbia

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • White House Visitor Center Rehabilitation and Closure Information

    The White House Visitor Center is closed for rehabilitation. A temporary visitor center is located near the Ellipse Visitor Pavilion, just west of the intersection of 15th and E streets, NW.

  • White House Fence Restoration and Sidewalk Closure

    The National Park Service is restoring the White House fence along Pennsylvania Avenue, portions of which are believed to date back to 1818. During this restoration work, sections of the White House sidewalk will be temporarily closed for public safety. More »

  • Construction Project Affecting the White House Sidewalk

    Due to a construction project, a portion of both the White House sidewalk and Pennsylvania Avenue near East Executive Avenue will be closed until April 2015.

Places

First Division Monument

Monuments

What is a monument? A monument is a structure built for commemorative or symbolic reasons. President's Park has several monuments such as First Division Monument and Zero Milestone Monument.

 
Second Division Memorial

Memorials

What is a memorial? A structure erected to commemorate persons or events. There are several memorials in President's Park such as Butt-Millet Memorial Fountain, Second Division Memorial and Boy Scout Memorial.

 
Lafayette Statue

Statues

What is a statue? A statue is a sculpture depicting a specific entity, usually a person, event, animal or object. A variety of statues can be seen at President's Park such as Rochambeau, Jackson, von Steuben, Lafayette and Kosciuszko.

Did You Know?

Herbert Hoover, 31st President: 1929-1933

On March 3, 1931, the Star-Spangled Banner, by Francis Scott Key, is approved by President Herbert Hoover and Congress as the national anthem. The lyrics of the anthem were inspired during the bombing of Fort HcHenry by British ships at the head of Baltimore harbor in September of 1814.