Weir House, Weir Studio, and Young Studio Under Restoration
The historic Weir House, Weir Studio, and Young Studio are currently undergoing restoration and are closed to the public. The Burlingham House Visitor Center and park grounds remain open and available during regular hours. More »
National Park Service, Weir Farm National Historic Site
Thirty-four acres in size, is the Woodland Area located to the east of Nod Hill Road. This area contains a dense forested canopy created by a variety of hardwood trees, intermittent streams, and wetlands. Prior to World War II, upland meadows in this area were open and free of trees and shrubs, separated by low ground that was wet, boggy, and forested.
Streams and channels
During the Weir and Young tenures, repeated trips from the house to the fields, pond, woodlands, and dump east of Nod Hill Road created a circulation feature known as the Wagon Road. The road, a compacted earthen route, began near the northwest corner of the Truants' Meadow, continued along the meadow's eastern edge, and entered the woodland area to the south. Sperry Andrews often painted the landscape looking northwest from the Wagon Road around the marshes.The Wagon Road is presently in good condition with the park maintaining an approximate ten-foot wide swath along the historic roadbed free of woody vegetation.
The original path to the pond including crossing a fishing bridge, seen in Julian Alden Weir's The Fishing Party (ca. 1915) and his earlier painting, Return of the Fishing Party (1906). While Mahonri Young's son, Bill Young, helped repair the bridge it would eventually collapse. When the National Park Service acquired the property, only fragments remained.
Did You Know?
Many famous artists have found inspiration at Weir Farm National Historic Site. Childe Hassam, Albert Pinkham Ryder, and John Twachtman have all painted on site. More...